1. Set aside a special time each day for complete mental and physical
relaxation. This is important in the restoration as well as maintenance
of normal health.
2. When sitting, choose a chair that has adequate firmness to hold your weight
comfortably, and then sit straight. Avoid too soft, overstuffed chairs.
Recliner chairs are acceptable if they are constructed so that when you are
reclining your back is in a normal straight position.
3. Cross your legs only at the ankles, not at the knees. Crossing your legs at
the knees could aggravate an existing back condition as well as interfere
with circulation to the lower limbs.
4. Be sure to get plenty of sleep to allow your body to recuperate and repair.
5. Sleep on a firm mattress, preferably one which is neither too hard nor too
soft, but just firm enough to hold your body level while at the same time
soft enough so that your shoulders, buttocks, etc... will depress into
6. Your pillow should be neither too high nor too low. The ideal pillow
is one which supports your head so that your neck vertebrae will be level with the
rest of your spine. Avoid sleeping on two pillows, never lie on a
couch with your head on the arm rest.
We have tri-core pillows available for sale, just ask our staff!
via email or,
call us at (831)462-3350
7. Sleep on your back or on your side with your legs flexed slightly, not
drawn up tightly. Avoid sleeping on your stomach. Raise your head off the
pillow when changing positions.
8. Rise from your bed by turning on your side and swinging your legs off the
bed, then push yourself into a sitting position with your arms, thus
minimizing the amount of strain on your back.
9. Do not read or watch TV in bed, particularly with your head propped
at a sharp strained angle.
10. Do not sleep in a chair or in cramped quarters. Lie down in bed when
it is time to sleep.
If you have any questions about any phase of your care, feel free to ask
Dr. Frogley via email, or
on your next visit. You may also leave a message with our staff, and
we will be happy to get back to you as soon as possible.